- The oil spill continues to be horrifying and out of control, despite BP's assurances.
Oil estimate raised to 35,000-60,000 barrels a day
Government scientists Tuesday increased the estimate of oil flowing into the Gulf of Mexico to between 35,000 and 60,000 barrels per day, up to 50 percent more than previously estimated. That translates into 1.5 million gallons to 2.5 million gallons per day.
Obama addresses the nation on the oil spill from the Oval Office
Tomorrow, I will meet with the chairman of BP and inform him that he is to set aside whatever resources are required to compensate the workers and business owners who have been harmed as a result of his company's recklessness.
And this fund will not be controlled by BP. In order to ensure that all legitimate claims are paid out in a fair and timely manner, the account must and will be administered by an independent third party.
Now, one place we've already begun to take action is at the agency in charge of regulating drilling and issuing permits, known as the Minerals Management Service.
At this agency, industry insiders were put in charge of industry oversight. Oil companies showered regulators with gifts and favors and were essentially allowed to conduct their own safety inspections and write their own regulations.
And so Secretary Salazar and I are bringing in new leadership at the agency: Michael Bromwich, who was a tough federal prosecutor and inspector general. And his charge over the next few months is to build an organization that acts as the oil industry's watchdog, not its partner.
Cherie Priest has a list of ways you can help
- Meanwhile, the FDA says our seafood is safe. I don't know about you, but I find this hard to believe. I am a firm believer in the marvels of modern medicine, but there are all kinds of things we can't scientifically prove. And it seems perfectly clear to me, regardless of what any scientist may say, that eating animals that have spent weeks in oil-polluted waters is a terrible idea.
- Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword trailer. I am excited by this trailer because a. yay moar Zelda! b. it acknowledges the retelling, adding on to, and evolution of the Zelda story which is exactly the kind of thing that gets my academic penis hard.
- furiosity on claims that having to not be offensive is ruining fandom.
- ETA 2:51am Adorable otters of pure adorableness. I AM DEAD OF CUTE.
- Base style: Blanket by
- Theme: Kings & Runaways by
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2017 11:44 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios
Expand Cut Tags
No cut tags