- Sorry I haven't been sharing interesting things with everybody. It's been really crazy for me lately. But I have some goodies today.
- The We Got Your Back Project is "a project where LGBTQIA youth, straight allies, adults and others could share their stories to encourage and strengthen youth who may be getting bullied, harassed and otherwise mistreated for being who they are. This project will make sure that lgbtqia of color, bisexual and transgendered folks will not be left out of the work of telling their stories and having their voices heard.
Yes, I know some of you are thinking… but there’s already a similar project out there! Well, yes there is but whereisjoy and I wanted to be sure everyone’s voice is heard, that everyone is able to share their story in the hopes it would give strength to others who are dealing with coming out, being out and bullied as well just for being who they are.
This idea is just a wee idea, barely out of the box and we need your help to make sure it thrives. What we need help with is:
Contributors; anyone who falls within the LGTBTQI & A spectrum, allies, anyone who has been touched by the injustice of having their voices silenced or drowned out by the masses.
A couple people to be editors; to help with reviewing content, posting and maintaining the site (which is now a WordPress site). Please note that the site is pretty bare at the moment, and we are adding content, submission guidelines and such over the next couple of weeks.
As the project grows, we hope to have someone who is media savvy, who can talk to the local LGBTQIA media, and deal with the issues that will arise from creating a project similar to one that already exists. Please note that we are not doing this to be in direct competition with the It Gets Better Project, but rather to supplement and give everyone a voice who may not feel as if they will be heard otherwise.
For now, please spread the word about this project, what we hope to do and most importantly the soft launch date of mid-October 2010. In the interim, please leave questions here, if you want your question discussed off site want to have a longer chat, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
So there’s the great idea, let’s make sure it not only learns to crawl but learns to soar."
- Some gorgeous or alternately disturbing photo manipulations. Am particularly fond of the first and fourth one. Every single one of these has a story to tell; they're like seeds. I love it.
- I don't know if you remember the photo essay on being trans that circulated this corner of the internet not too long ago, but the same person has a few other beautiful series of photos. The trans photo essay is there too if you miss it the first time around, or would like to save it.
- ellen_kushner has posted the Table of Contents for the new Bordertown anthology due out next spring. I am so fucking excited. I've probably mentioned this before, but the Bordertown books are the most important books I have ever read, not in their impact on the world but in their impact on me.
Ellen Kushner and blackholly have got a fantastic line-up of writers for this edition. If either of those two names mean anything to you and you're a fan, you'll probably like this book.